Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Today - June 22, 2011

So now that we've caught up to the recent date I'll go through some more of the details, successes and pitfalls.

  • Using the heisig method with pronunciations has been working splendidly and I recommend it.
  • I have recently gotten the first 2000 items learned in iknow.jp (it took longer than planned due to the change of structure of the smart.fm to ikow.jp, earthquake and other things)
  • Below you can see the time spent and items learned for:
March. (notice the gap due to my earthquake vacation)

April (The last days are the start of my golden week)
May (The first days are the rest of my golden week)JuneAs you can see I'm not overly consistent, but I have been putting in a decent time. There's a lot of breaks due to parties and trips to Tokyo, but I don't regret any of that.
I almost never use the smart.fm app on my iphone. However I got anki for my iphone and I use it all the time for a pre-made deck based on Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar (called TK from now on) which you can download for free. TK has been AMAZING, I have recently just finished it and have started to make it into a software. (see the video at the bottom for what it looks like for now). The problem is that reading the app and using the Anki cards have problems.

I’ve also realized recently that even though I have decided to write the JLPT Lv2 in Dec. I haven’t really made any clear goals or planned my timeline to get ready in time. I’ve just been hammering the Tae Kim and Smart FM. And making really good progress. But I went with Nihongo pera pera and I’ve bought a phrases dictionary. Now that I’ve just recently finished Tae Kim’s and got my 2000+ words started I think my next step will be to follow that guy. Go through the phrases in the book add them to Anki, add an extra card with just the word I don’t understand. Here you can see a picture of the book. At first I was a little pissed off that the examples were not translated, but soon after I realized that is what I need. I do need to break out of the lazy habit. It would probably be even better if the examples didn’t have furigana.

  • Recent things I need to start doing. 1)going into random restaurants/yakitoriya/izekayas(Japanese pub) and just starting up conversations with random people.

1 comment:

  1. Great progress man! As you are a witness to my evolution, so too am I a witness to yours hehe.

    I've slacked off a bit this last week or so because my motivation hasn't been as high, but I think I'll be done with the Core2000 in another few weeks and I think I will have a reasonable exposure/mastery of many of the Heisig words and a few new ones in the program.

    It's REALLY interesting that at this stage you are going with a phrases book. When I first went to Japan operated only with "How to make out in Japanese" as my base... silly as that might sound it had a lot of general use questions that allowed me to gain "Izakaya Fluency" as you put it, haha.

    But it makes sense, and I will checkout Nihongo Pera Pera and see what they are up to. All in all, looks like good progress man. Maybe Japan is calling...

    ReplyDelete